Case Study: Capital Group
Supporting associates and their families' mental health is a top priority for Capital Group.
The Challenge: For Capital Group, one of the world’s largest investment management organizations, providing its associates and their family members greater access to innovative and culturally relevant mental health support is a key business initiative for 2022.
The Solution: In January 2022, Capital Group introduced its new North American mental health partner, Lyra Mental Health, which replaced the company’s prior Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Lyra provides a wide spectrum of culturally competent, personalized care to help individuals stay well or get back on their feet, with up to 12 free sessions for Capital Group associates, their eligible dependents and household members.
Working together with Lyra and Capital Group’s Associate Resource Groups, the company has hosted numerous small-group discussions and global webinars to address timely sources of stress including the conflict in Ukraine, anti-LGBTQ legislation and anxiety around return to office.
Capital Group also offers the following benefits and resources to support mental health:
- Mental health professional services under the company-sponsored PPO and Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP) are covered at the in-network rate, even when members use an out-of-network provider.
- Capital Group’s wellness program via Virgin Pulse offers resources and rewards to maintain emotional well-being, including stress management, phone coaching for anxiety and making time for play.
- Video visits with a licensed therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist for managing emotional well-being.
- The Capital Group Bright Horizons Family Matters Resource Room offers valuable articles, advice, tips and more for everything from managing stress levels in children, to helping an aging parent stay mentally sharp.
- CG Mental Wealth, a global Associate Resource Group, formed to empower associates’ mental health and well-being and to create a stigma-free culture and trusting environment.
- CG Mindful, another global Associate Resource Group, formed to inspire associates to stay connected to themselves and the world around them by offering training in life skills like self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and compassion.
- Self-directed learning resources specifically designed to help support associates prepare mentally physically and emotionally return to the office and practice the art of mindfulness.
The Result: In the first month of its availability, 700 associates registered for the Lyra Mental Health benefit. Capital Group has also had great participation and received positive feedback on the timely and relevant Lyra events.
- Offering a new easy-to-access mental health platform giving employees and household members 12 free sessions
- Hosting live webinars and small group “safe space” sessions to support mental health and emotional well-being
- Covering out-of-network mental health services at in-network rates on medical plans
- Expanding access to mental health providers through telehealth
- Forming Associate Resource Groups dedicated to mental health and mindfulness
- Offering tailored self-directed learning resources